HIPAA Special Enrollment

Under HIPAA, if you lose your group health plan coverage, you may be able to get into another group health plan for which you are eligible (such as a spouse’s plan), even if the plan generally does not accept late enrollees, if you request enrollment within 30 days. Therefore, once your coverage ends, if you are eligible for coverage in another plan (such as a spouse’s plan), you should request special enrollment as soon as possible. (Additional special enrollment rights are triggered by marriage, birth, adoption, and placement for adoption.)

If you have questions about your HIPAA rights, you may contact your state insurance department or the U.S. Department of Labor, Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA), toll-free at 1-866-444-3272.

For more information, visit www.dol.gov/ebsa